My own argument
Wednesday, September 23, 2009
I agree with the Supreme Court's decision in this matter, I understand that the majority of the country holds our flag in such high regard and their view is that the simple act of burning it should be a punishable offense. Personally I don't think that the mere act of burning the our country's symbol is going to cause our system and everything our country stands for to burn up in a puff of smoke. I think that the act of viewing an inanimate object like it contains the very essence of our humanity is absolutely ridiculous, the simple fact is that these flags we hang all over our country are mass produced pieces of fabric. The only meaning the flag has is the meaning that the country has attached to it and nothing more. The only value these replicas have is the value of the price tag in Wal-mart, and person decides to buy anything from Wal-mart they should have the right to burn it if they feel so inclined regardless of what symbolism it contains and what statement they are making by doing so. If it was the original American flag, and not a replica, I could see making its destruction a punishable offense because it is a one of a kind piece of our history. I'm glad that the Texas statute was deemed unconstitutional because there shouldn't be a law that states that our flag is our only "National Symbol", the fact is that America has a wide variety of symbols and it all boils down to a matter of perception. One could argue that even "Mickey Mouse" is a national symbol and it embodies all of our nations beliefs as a whole, but that would be ridiculous, wouldn't it?